The weekend was a great way to cap off my best week yet at work. As I wrote before, I ran my first recording session, but then I did it for the following two days as well. I felt like I gelled more with my co-workers and am becoming comfortable in the workplace. The frequent group meals outside on the deck certainly aided the bonding effort, especially the one for which Rob (the other full-time intern) and I were responsible for the food. I think we did pretty well. Plus, I am continually learning new and interesting information about audio production, which excites me to no end.
So after the workweek finished at 5:45 on Friday evening (I left a little early!), Gillian and I attended the birthday dinner of a friend I knew from the Institute and she met earlier this summer. We supped sumptuously and met many new friends (most from the state of Mississippi) at Clyde’s in Chinatown. Let me tell one thing about this restaurant. They do not believe in using either trays or the assistance of more than one person in bringing out plates of food. Indeed, a man will carry up [something like] six plates on his outstretched arm to the expectant table and then distribute all the food out using his other hand. Impressive.
Afterwards, Gillian and I went to watch ‘Get Smart’ at the movie theatre. I had high expectations for the film, and feared for the first thirty minutes that I would be let down. The jokes seemed a bit excessive and I frankly wasn’t feeling it. However, my tune changed by the end of the film, after I’d had at least one prolonged belly laugh among many a good-hearted chuckle. I found it very amusing and would certainly see it again (on video, at any rate).
Gillian and I then parted ways and I planned to return to the dorms. Yet as I disembarked from the escalator at the Tenleytown-AU Metro station, I found approaching me some of my Institute colleagues and newfound friends from American. They informed me that they were going out and strongly urged me to go with them. Though I was unsuccessful in ascertaining exactly where we were going or what we’d be doing, I had nothing else planned and could sleep in the next morning, so I acquiesced. En route towards Glenmont on the red line, we decided to stop off at Adams Morgan (an area of town where the night scene is thriving). We walked around for a while but couldn’t find a place where those of us who were under 21 (myself included) could actually be admitted. So after an hour and a half or so of aimless wandering, we returned from whence we came (the dorms, I mean). Back at American, we met some other brothers from the Institute and sat down to what turned out to be a two and a half hour-long conversation about morality. I was a little excited because I think this is the first discussion in which I’ve actually been able to contribute. I was less excited the next morning when I awoke at 11:30 only to discover that I’d slept for fewer than seven hours on a Saturday morning.
Saturday was pretty low key. I bummed around much of the day pretending to be useful until I met Gillian again to attend another evening meal together. This time it was the the home of her newfound roommates (and consequently, it’s her new home). I enjoyed myself and her roomies are cool people, so I think it will be a success. I feel like I should write more than I have for this paragraph, especially considering the length of the previous one, for the sake of time, I will move forward to my last subject.
The picture you see is from the D.C. United match Gillian and I attended today. You can tell that I’m getting a little scruffy in the face, and I’ll tell you why. I haven’t had to dress up any, so I figured that this would be a good time to experiment with some facial hair. My jury is still out on it, so we’ll see how things progress. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed myself watching D.C. United hand it to their opponent, the San Jose Earthquakes. The first half was uneventful, but then four goals were scored during the second, three of which were United’s. I also liked watching the zealous fans who brought flags to wave, drums to beat and songs to sing. Maybe I can sit with them next time…
That brings you up to date with my adventures! Work begins again tomorrow, and I literally discovered tonight that I’m going to a Washington Nationals baseball game with the Institute tomorrow evening, so there will be more athletic event stories to tell.
3 comments:
As I used to tell my students when they turned in papers - proofread, please! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHA. Booyah! Shazzam!! Wabbam!!! Um, anyhoo, nice picture. And you were in charge of lunch? Look at you, ponkyyyyy!!! (Enough exclamation marks errrr?)
I think you should post a picture of your hairy face in your next post and let your loyal readers decide the outcome of your facial hair. Personally, I'm sending you a razor next chance I get. Booyah? Shazzam? Wabbam? (I just put that because gillian did, and it seemed right)
Yeah, all I have to say is that after reading the bit about experimenting with facial hair, I snorted a mouthful of shortbread onto my computer in front of the cute guy sitting next to me at Panera. Booyah; Shazzam; Wabbam. Who's sexy now, you fuzzy little man peach? Shakkakhan! Grace Kelly!
Post a Comment